How To Travel And Make Money While You Do So
Hi! It’s Darren here and this week I want to talk to you about the coolest thing you can do – travel wherever you want and make money while you do it!
That’s right, you can set off and see the world and earn as you go. Nobody needs to feel trapped in their hometown ever again.
So here’s how you go about it:
Step 1: Make Money From What You Own
If you own things that aren’t going to travel with you, let them make you money while you are away:
- Rent out your car. If you’re going overseas, you don’t need your car. Use a service like com and rent your car out. It’s fully insured by Turo and listings are free too.
- Rent out your home. You can’t sleep in two places at once. Use AirBnB to turn your home into a money make while you’re abroad.
- Sell things you don’t need online before you go. Clear out your junk and get some cash in the bank! eBay and Craigslist are perfect for this.
Step 2: Make Money As You Go
Then when you’re out on the road, it’s time to make some more money. Here are some ways to do that:
- Sell your photos and videos. We all take holiday snaps and videos, so why not make money while you do it? Of course, the better your camera is, the easier this will be. Adobe Stock, Foap, and Shutterstock all take images and let you turn them into cash.
- Start your own blog. Of course, as you know – I absolutely love blogging but who doesn’t enjoy a well-documented life of travel? So, start your own blog, it’s easy! Then start making money from that blog. It’s how Susan and I finance our travels!
- Produce an e-book. Watch this space. Money Nuts e-books are coming soon! We learned this lesson a long time ago, people want to pay for information. If you’re creating information on your blog – you’d be crazy not to package it up and sell it on Amazon.
- Become a social media influence If you want to take your writing and photography to the next level – start yourself a social media account and aim to dominate in that space by winning as many followers as possible. If you had just 10,000 followers on Instagram, you could get paid to post! A sponsored post is worth on average… $300!
- Deliver packages on your way. We wrote about this recently but there are plenty of ways to make a little extra on the road by delivering parcels and packages from one destination to the next. WorldCraze is a great site for doing this internationally and roadie.com is one of our favorites for US-based stuff.
- Get paid when your flights are delayed. Being delayed sucks, do you know what sucks worse than being on a delayed plane? Not getting paid for that delay. If you end up landing 3 hours (or more) late – you may well be entitled to compensation. Read up on the airline’s rules for claiming and claim. It can be worth hundreds of dollars to do so. Or just use Claim Compass to do it on your behalf.
Step 3: Do Some Work While You’re There
Not every experience needs to end up on Instagram, swapping your hard work for money can be a very sensible way to keep things going.
- Get down to the farms. It’s not something many people think of but there’s always a big demand for seasonal farm labor. In some countries, this pays very well and in others, it may only cover room and board but it’s nearly always an option and can help you stretch out your funds for a lot longer than you might have thought. I’ve found that Indeed can help you find opportunities but you can also ask around on the ground too.
- Hit up the bars. No, not for drinking but for work. I’ve got a lot of friends who make this work very well for themselves on the road. Bars and hotels are often looking for English speaking staff and while you won’t get rich doing this, they normally offer room, board, and spending money and sometimes tips and free drinks too!
- Spend time in summer camp. Summer camps are always looking for staff. Make it easy to get hired by taking a police clearance with you when you travel. Then you can get a job fairly easily as anything from an instructor to a cook! They can be a huge amount of fun too.
- Do some freelancing. Blogging is full-time for Susan and me now but when we were transitioning from employment to full-time bloggers we sometimes had slow periods where we needed more work – freelancing was the answer. You can use Upwork and Fiverr, for example, to find this kind of work easily too.
- Teach English online. VIPKID is always looking for English speakers with college degrees to teach English online. It pays well, the job is easy and as long as you have Internet, you can make money wherever you are in the world. It’s best to make sure your time zone is compatible with your students though – you don’t want to be awake at 3 a.m. teaching, do you?
- Work as a flight attendant. This is literally the best way to get paid to travel that I can think of. Get a job with an airline and see the world for free and make money! That’s a real win.
So, there you have it. If you want to see the world but don’t have a huge amount of money, don’t let that stop you. You can go anywhere and do almost anything if you decide to travel AND make money at the same time.
Turn your assets into income. Then generate more income and book your flights and get moving, there’s a whole universe waiting to meet you!
If there’s anything you’d like to know about traveling the world, please let me know in the comments below and If you have any money making tips you’d like to share, I’d love to hear about them too!