Money Nuts is all about putting extra money back in your pocket. When Susan and I were looking to get out of debt and back in the black, we did a lot of research on how to get this done and we want to share it with you.
One of the best ways, we found, to get on top of things financially is to make extra money. You can only save so much, even if you were to make all your clothes out of newspaper and live in a tent and let’s be fair, no-one wants that, do they?
There is, however, no limit to how much you can earn. So, we want to focus on making money as well as saving it. We found you can easily make $20,000-$30,000 a year in your spare time if you are focused and are willing to work for it.
Now, we’re entrepreneurs living our dreams with no debts. That’s what we want for you. So, let’s get stuck in so that you can:
- Say goodbye to debt
- Save for the things you really want
- Finish living hand to mouth forever
- Retire when you want
- Escape the rat race
- Feel secure all the time
As long as you can put in an hour a day (or thereabouts) you can earn more money. If you can put in more time, you can earn even more. The sky’s the limit.
In the long run, of course, you can earn enough to pay other people to do the work for you. That’s when you can really accelerate how much you earn.
18 Easy Side Businesses That Take Almost No Capital To Start
A jewelry store could be a side business, but you need a lot of money and training to open a jewelry store. These business ideas cost next to nothing to start and more importantly, next to no training too. They’re a way to get money flowing in the door before you branch out:
- Car washing. A bucket, a chamois leather, some soap and you’re good to go. Add some wax and you’re cooking with gas. Anyone can wash a car.
- Dog walking. As long as you’re OK with dogs this just requires knocking on doors and asking people if they want their dogs walked. They’ll supply the dog and the leash. You supply the walk.
- Lawn mowing. This is also a great way to stay in shape. Anybody can mow a lawn if they’re willing to work hard. However, it can be a very seasonal way to earn.
- Bake cookies or cakes for events. Farmer’s markets, yard sales, garage sales, community events, etc. almost always have some space for catering. Be that caterer. Make snacks that people love.
- New parent consulting. If you’ve been a mom or a dad, why not help other parents how to get through the first years of parenting? For a fee, of course.
- Children’s birthday party planner. Some people are too busy to do the organizing for their kid’s party. Take the problem off their hands for a few bucks.
- Window cleaning. Ask on any residential street, people are always looking for a good, reliable window cleaner. That could be you.
- Pooper scooper. Yes, it’s not the nicest job but cleaning the poop out of someone’s yard is not that hard and it pays a great hourly rate.
- Babysitting. If you’re a responsible person, babysitting is pretty easy and there are sites like Seeking Sitters that can help you find clients.
- Clean Houses. There’s plenty of money in being a good housecleaner. It’s hard, honest work. Just make sure to be clear about who is supplying the cleaning materials.
- Drive for Uber. If you’d like to get paid for driving for Uber, then that’s a pretty easy way to earn a little cash.
- House sitting. People don’t get paid much to house sit but they do get a free place to live. If you want to cut out rent, you can treat this like money earned.
- Be a psychic. If you feel your intuition makes you stand out from the crowd, there are paid psychic roles to be found if you know where to look – like at PsychicSource, for example. Though, we figure a psychic might already know that.
- Consider recycling. There are often places paying for newsprint, aluminum, etc. in your local area. Google for them and then collect the raw materials for $.
- Pet sitting. Yes, pets can make you even more money if you’re clever. You can get $20 a visit per day to feed an animal, make sure it’s OK and give it any medicines required.
- Hand out demonstration products. Club Demonstration Services puts people out in the world to demonstrate products and they pay those people too.
- Teach somebody the hobby that you love. Before you try and turn your hobby into a business, see if it will support a side hustle. There’s a guy making his living playing Dungeons and Dragons in New York… see if you can beat that.
- Shovel snow. Sure, it’s seasonal but when the season’s right – it’s better than going out to mow lawns.
14 Ways To Make Money Online Without Any Capital
Not so good with your hands or find it hard to free up the hours to do some of those jobs? Then check out these 10 ways to make money online without any real capital or specialist skills.
Answer surveys. You wouldn’t believe how many people will pay you to answer surveys. Some of them include:
- American Consumer Opinion
- Clear Voice Surveys
- Harris Poll Online
- Opinion Outpost
- Pinecone Research
- Product Report Card
- Survey Club
- Survey Junkie
- Do online searches via Swagbucks. Unlike Google, Swagbucks is OK with kicking back some of its advertising revenues to users. You can make cash simply by using their site for your searches. There’s also a bonus for signing up using our link. Get Swagbucks!
- Become a paid forum moderator. Not all forums use mods and not all forums pay their mods but many do. If there’s a forum you like to hang out in online – ask if they’re recruiting for forum moderators. It’s easy to do.
- Test websites. You won’t believe it but you can also get paid to test websites. You don’t need a background in testing either. UserTesting.Com has a program to let you do just that.
- Teach English online. You need a degree and a working internet connection plus the facility to take video calls. If you have these things, you can make $20+ an hour teaching English to people in Asia and other countries. No teaching experience is required. Try VIPKID for your chance to teach.
- Get paid to Tweet. Seriously, they’ll pay you to Tweet if you have enough followers on Twitter. Check out SponsoredTweets by Izea [NB4] to see how.
- Play games. I swear this is true. InboxDollars will not just pay you to take surveys but it will even pay you to play games!
- Evaluate the way search engines work. Leapforce pays people to work at home and one of their main jobs is to evaluate the performance of different search engines. So, if you love to Google this ones for you.
- Create fan pages on Facebook or Twitter. This doesn’t take much skill and if you advertise on Fiverr, you can find paying customers easily.
- Be a customer service agent. Most customer care positions are hard to fill at home. You don’t have the software or the big company infrastructure. But LiveOps changes that by giving you everything you need to work at home. Check it out.
- Sell things on eBay. It’s what eBay was invented for. Start by getting rid of anything you don’t need any more and then maybe reinvest your cash to buy other stock to sell.
- Be a tester in medical research studies. You can get paid a lot for participating in medical research. No special skills required. Check out ClinicalTrials.gov to find out what’s available in your area.
- Be a judge of an attorney’s skills. Attorney’s pay money for e-juries. That is, you watch them do their thing and give them feedback. See eJury.com for details.
- Become an editor. Websites all have writers. Most of them need editing. You can make a decent amount editing people’s copy in your spare time.
10 Ways To Make Money Online With Just A Little Capital
Once you’ve done some of the work on our earlier lists, you’re going to want to branch out to more profitable activities. That means investing some of your earnings and putting a little cash into your business. Online businesses are often easier and cheaper to set up than offline ones at this stage. So here are some great ideas to do just that:
- Start selling on Amazon. There are great online courses that walk you through the basics of online selling on Amazon. That means the biggest marketplace in the world is yours to sell on. You don’t need any programming skills to get started either.
- Start blogging for a living. That’s what I do and it’s what you can do too. You don’t need to be a computer genius to start a blog. You pay a small monthly fee (e.g. $2.95) and the hosting provider gives you a domain name and a blog. Get Bluehost. Then you create the content, it’s no harder than using MS Word.
- Write an eBook and sell it on Amazon. Amazon’s self-publishing program is easy to use and you don’t have to write a full novel to sell your ideas to the world. Take a course and learn how to make the most of this incredible opportunity.
- Create a course and sell it to other people. Teachable, Udemy, etc. all allow you to create courses easily and sell your expertise to others. You don’t need to be a programmer and you don’t need to be a rocket scientist. Teach about your hobby or interests. Teach your job. There’s a market for it.
- Sign up to a freelancing website. If you have skills in writing, design, programming, etc. then you can sell those skills via sites like Upwork, Freelancer, etc. [NB11] You don’t have to do any cold calling. Write proposals and win clients.
- Become a virtual assistant. There are plenty of busy business people looking for someone to take care of their admin from home. If you don’t know how to do this, you can learn by taking a course.
- Become a web designer. If you’ve been running your own blog and enjoying it and have developed your skills, why not do it for other people too? People are always looking for talent online.
- Become a bookkeeper. There’s no need to be an accountant to be a bookkeeper. You can learn to be a bookkeeper quickly and easily and start earning decent money managing other business’s records for them.
- Sell crafts on Etsy. Etsy is a great place to sell things you make in your hobbies. It’s nothing like Amazon so make sure you check it out before you open your store.
- Sell things on Shopify. Amazon may be the biggest store online, but many people find Shopify to be more profitable to run their own business from. It’s easy and once again, you don’t need any coding skills to get started just some stock.
10 Ways To Make Money Offline With Just A Little Capital
If you’d rather stay offline because you don’t like computers that much; there are plenty of simple businesses that you can start with a little capital or a bit more skill.
- Move furniture around. Moving companies are expensive. There’s a lot of room for a couple of people with a van to make good money carrying out small-scale removal projects. $50+/hour is not unusual for this.
- Become a photographer. You’ll need a good eye and some decent camera equipment (which is not cheap) but people pay a lot for pictures of their children or their weddings. Real estate companies are always hiring real estate photographers too.
- Become a home tutor. You’ll need transport for this but tutoring children or college students in your specialist subjects. The money’s better than online tutoring too.
- Become a handyman. You need some DIY skills and you need to know your limits but fixing minor issues in a home can be very well paid. Make sure you have enough tools to do the job right because this is a business that grows by word of mouth.
- Be a lifeguard. Lifeguards generally work during people’s off hours and while you MUST have certification if you do, it’s well rewarded and they are always in demand.
- Rent out a room in your house. That’s what Airbnb is for and it’s a great way not just to make money but also to meet new people. In fact, that’s what the founders of Airbnb were doing before they were billionaires!
- Rent your car to other people. You don’t have to drive your car to make money. Instead of having it sit unused during the day use Getaround to rent it out.
- Rent your hobby equipment to other people. Hey, it’s not just cars that can make cash rather than going unused. Snowsports gear, bicycles, etc. can too. Check out Spinlister for details.
- Rent out your music kit too. Yes, there’s money to be had in renting anything from a guitar to a rehearsal room! Sparkplug connects people in the scene.
- Become a beauty consultant. Mary Kay vendors need some capital to get started but the sky’s the limit for the clever salesperson. You can even earn one of those big pink Cadillacs, we promise.
Final Thoughts On Ways To Make Extra Money
Back when Susan and I were up to our eyeballs in student loans and credit card debt, we tried a lot of these things ourselves. Some of them worked well, some not so well but we know for sure that somebody out there has had complete success with all these methods for making extra money.
Even if you could only bring in an extra $10 a day, that would be $3,650 more into the house a year. If you can get that number up to just $20, it would $7,300. That’s a lot of cash to pay down your debts with.
Once you get good at these things, you can employ other people to do them for you and soon you could be earning $50-$100 an hour. At just one hour a day that could bring in $20,000-$40,000 and much more if you keep at it.
I wish you all the success and I’ll be here at Money Nuts looking for even more ways for you to make more money and save more money too. Until next time, take care.
For another way to make and save money check out our guide on how to get free amazon gift cards here.