One of the biggest challenges of running a business from home is getting customers. Marketing costs money, right? And when you’re just starting a business – you don’t have much money. A Catch-22.
Yet, there are ways you can market for free. Here are two to get you started:
It’s important to remember that Pinterest is generally used by young, American, women with a good quality of education. If that’s not your audience, Pinterest might be free but it’s going to be hard to connect with customers.
If it is your audience, here’s what to do:
- Curate boards that reflect the lifestyle of your ideal clients.
- Make and pin original content that links to that lifestyle and to your products/services.
- Learn to use keywords that your target group will be searching for (people have to be able to find your pins to make this work for your business).
And… that’s it. It’s a short and sweet tactic that has turned some small businesses into economic powerhouses.
Instagram is more universal than Pinterest but it requires a little more work too. You need to learn to take good photos to catch would-be customer’s eyes but it is 100% free to use.
Here are my tips:
- Make sure you edit your images to be consistent with each other. If they don’t look “branded”, how will your customers relate to them.
- Learn to use hashtags. Yes, this is a keyword exercise all over again. Learn to ride trends as well as find your own unique tags. Use the search bar to discover tags that already work.
- Like, comment and build relationships with “influencers” in your target market. Instagram is social media. Be social.
And if you need an idea for a business to start from home, can we recommend that you start a blog? Here’s why.